1. This image is what I imagine limbo would look like. The light is just so wonderful, and the figures have a really ethereal quality to them. A beautiful and elegant way to enter the afterlife, no?
2. I have a complete love affair with the 1940s and 1950s and take a lot of inspiration from that time, so anything from the golden age of couture pretty much makes it straight on the list. Cecil Beaton and Richard Avedon are awesome but Mark Shaw pips them to the post with this image. Fantastic movement, colour, and just look at those shoes.
3. As much as I love to travel to new places, I’ve also gone to the same place in Scotland pretty much every year since I was seven. Fife is a home away from home and the slightly grumpy Scottish coastline is always both comforting and inspiring. I chose this from my (numerous) photos of the area.
4. Elena Shumilova, A Russian photographer who takes incredible pictures of her children on her farm. Her sense of storytelling really appeals to the illustrator in me, and the lighting is always beautiful.
5. Another storyteller is Jee Young Lee. All her images are based around amazing fairytale landscapes created in her tiny studio. A very inspiring artist and photographer.